I am had a weird chunk of time to kill yesterday before heading to class. What do I do when I don’t know what to do? Bake cookies of course!
Hearty Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temp
- 1/4 cup plus 1 TB brown sugar
- 1/8 cup buckwheat honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and honey in a large bowl. Beat egg into butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Add to the butter and egg mixture until well combine.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop by the heaping tablespoon onto cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 min.
This recipe made 10 medium/large cookies. For every cookie recipe I post on the blog, I have one that doesn’t make as it turns out to be awful flop. These are anything but! The spice combination is exactly to my liking. The cookies have a nice hardy texture but the addition of the spelt flour kept them chewy.
I put 8 aside to take to a girls dinner on Friday night and left two out for Art and I to enjoy. In the middle of class last night, I got a text from him asking if he could eat another. The man is picky with his baked goods so I take this as a sign that the cookies truly are good :)
I just finished the best smoothie that I didn’t photograph as I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I blended 15 grams Vanilla Tera’s Whey (check out the company website. very cool. and no they aren’t paying me to say that) , a handful of frozen cranberries, a very ripe pear, Almond Breeze, powdered ginger and 3 ice cubes. Topped with Nature’s Path Optimum Cranberry Ginger Cereal, it made for a really yummy, fall inspired breakfast.
What is your favorite kind of cookie? Have any cool breakfast recommendations to share?